Brief History of Jasaan
In 1830, the mission of Jasaan was established separately from Cagayan de Oro, where its authority and evangelization reached as far as the towns of Sumilao, Linabo and Malitbog in the province of Bukidnon.
The center of civilization of the new parish and its first Church was at “Daanglungsod,” which is now the Aplaya, Jasaan, where an old kota (watchtower) still exists. This kota, however, has been moved a few meters from where it originally stood to allow for the construction of the national highway in the 1970s.
Father Gregorio Parache, S.J. (432 local historical sources of Northern Mindanao by Father Francisco Demetrio, S.J.), was the parish priest of Jasaan at that time. The Jesuits later built the Nuestra Senora de Immaculada Concepcion Church in what is now the Immaculate Conception Church of Jasaan. The original facade of the church has been modified after a series of renovations. The original altar of the church has been moved backward to allow a larger area for the faithful inside the church building. The original sacristy has been moved to the side. The church is registered as a National Cultural Treasure by the National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA).
Jasaan is believed to have been already a municipality during the establishment of the Immaculate Conception Parish in 1840. The old church bells (four of them, excluding the one now at the San Agustin Cathedral at Cagayan de Oro) of the Immaculate Conception Church of Jasaan bore these inscriptions around its outer rim: “Para El Pueblo de Jasaan 1860″ [more or less], which suggests that the Spanish government had recognized Jasaan as a town.
With the coming of the Americans at the turn of the 20th century, the national government in 1903 downgraded the political status of Jasaan from that of a municipality to a barrio (a Spanish subdivision of a municipio) and made it a part of the Municipality of Balingasag. The Philippine Commission of 1903, Act No. 960, combined some municipalities in 1903 because the civil government had no control of these municipalities. They could not be defended by the Philippine constabulary or the scouts, nor could they be governed by the pro-American inhabitants!” The Jasaanons called for the restoration of their municipio into a municipality. Eventually, on August 18, 1948, by virtue of Executive Order No. 165, issued by President Elpidio Quirino, Jasaan regained its municipal status. On November 10, 1948, Jasaan was inaugurated as a municipality, and a set of appointed municipal officials assumed office (from the website of Jasaan Local Government).
The early 1970s saw the installation of electric power lines and a road widening program. Ubos had some remnant of Hispanic-style houses along its main street, but these were razed by fire in the early 1980s.